Go straight to Current Students FAQs

Prospective Students

I’ve seen a property I really like, how do I arrange a viewing?

If you have seen a property that you like, please submit an enquiry via the website or call us (details below). If you leave a message, we will get back to you as soon as possible.

I like one of the properties I have viewed, what next?

If you would like to secure a property that you have viewed, please send an email to info@hancock-properties.com or call us (details below).

We will then guide you through the required steps.

You will each need to put down a holding deposit of £70 to secure the property. The house will then be reserved for you for 7 days whilst you sign a tenancy agreement, pay the remainder of the deposit (£225 per person) and provide details of a guarantor.

What sort of Tenancy Agreement will I be signing?

Each house is let on a Joint Assured Shorthold tenancy agreement with a fixed term of 12 months. You rent the house as a group, rather than individuals and are therefore responsible for each other’s actions.

What is the security deposit and how is it managed?

As with all rental agreements, a security deposit required when you sign the tenancy agreement. The purpose of the deposit is to protect the Landlord and yourselves if you do not meet the obligations of your contract.

The deposit is held for the duration of your tenancy in a government approved Tenancy Deposit Protection Scheme.

How much is the security deposit? 

The deposit totals £295 per person and is due when you sign the tenancy agreement.

When will I get my security deposit back? 

At the end of the tenancy following the completion of an assessment of the condition and inventory of the property, your deposit will be returned providing the property is well looked after, has been properly cleaned, and all of your utility bills finalised.

What is a guarantor? 

A guarantor is a third party, such as a parent or close relative, who agrees to pay your rent if you fail to pay it on time.

Are there any Administration fees?

No! As we are private Landlords, we do not charge you any administration fees to secure a property. This saves you around £100 each!

How do I pay my Rent?

The rent for your room will be specified in the contract and must be paid in accordance with contract details, usually termly.

What is the length of the tenancy and when does it run from/to?

Traditionally all of our contracts are for 52 weeks running from the 1st of August until 12pm 31st of July. However from time to time the contracts might be shortened if we have any planned refurbishment works in place. This will all be made clear to you in the initial contract agreement.

How are utilities bills managed?

You will need to budget for your gas and electricity, water rates and any internet/telephone/television packages you sign up for as these are not included in your rental payments. This means you can decide what you sign up to and manage your outgoings.

Do we need to buy a TV licence?

Yes, you must purchase a television licence if you intend to watch TV or stream television programmes from your laptop/device. However, as you will be on a joint tenancy you only need one licence to cover the whole property, not one each.

Do I need to pay council tax?

No, as a student you are exempt from council tax.

My parents/guardians have some questions about the tenancy, how do they get in touch?

We are happy to answer any questions that your parent/guardian may have. Please ask them to email us via info@hancock-properties.com or call us on 01159 847431. We will answer any messages as soon as possible.


Current Students

How do I collect my keys at the beginning of the tenancy?

Please provide 5 days notice of your arrival so we can post keys to your home address.

Who do I contact if I have any questions?

Please email us via info@hancock-properties.com or call us on 0115 9847431. We will be more than happy to help.

Who do I contact if I need any repairs?

Please ask email us via info@hancock-properties.com or call us on 0115 9847431. We will arrange for our repair team to visit your house to assess the problem as soon as possible. 

Do I need to move out over the Christmas or Easter Holidays?

No! The house is yours for the entirety of the year, providing there are no notified works being done over the summer months, so make yourselves at home and treat the house as if it were your own.

What do I need to do about insurance?

The building itself and the contents owned and provided by Hancock Properties at the start of the tenancy are insured by Hancock Properties. You will need to arrange your own separate contents insurance for your any of your personal belongings.

What is included in the kitchen?

All our houses come complete with the standard fitted appliances (oven, fridge, freezer etc.) as well as microwave ovens, dishwashers and washing machines. A selection of houses have tumble dryers.

Can I personalise the house?

Whilst we would like you to make the house into a home, you are responsible for looking after the house and leaving it in exactly the condition as when you arrived. When you move in you will be required to fill out an inventory check of the house condition, this is then checked at the end of your tenancy for any changes. Large use of Blue-tac, pins and nails in walls generally require redecoration and thus you may be charged in line with the tenancy agreement.

What is Unipol?

Unipol is a student housing charity based on the University of Nottingham campus and promotes student housing in Nottingham.

We are accredited landlords and subscribe to the DASH code. More information about Unipol in Nottingham can be found here.

Where can I smoke?

Smoking is not permitted inside any Hancock Properties.

Will I be able to park my car?

Some of our properties offer off-street parking, however the vast majority of properties in Nottingham have on-street parking and require a parking permit.

Permits are available from the local council via this website. You can use your Tenancy agreement as a proof of residency.

Further details will be provided in your moving letter.

Who is responsible for the cleaning?

You are jointly responsible for the cleanliness of your home throughout and at the end of the tenancy. Any extra cleaning required when you move out would be charged to you in accordance with your tenancy agreement.

What about security and safety?

Security: All Hancock Properties are fitted with security alarms and external doors have appropriate locks and security devices.

Fire Safety: Each property has a fire plan in place.

Gas Safety: As responsible landlords, gas safety is an important thing to us. Gas safety certificates are obtained annually, a copy of which you will find on the notice board in the house along with the license.

Your Wishlist